Anatomy of Google Display Ads
The change of display ads over the years has helped many advertisers along the way. Designs and sizes must be crafted by hand to meet Google’s stringent requirement on display advertising. Now, advertisers will simply upload an individual asset of recommended sizes and Google will do the magic based on the images uploaded.
Google used to have a wide variation of dimensions to fit different display ads placing available. A missing sizing would reduce our chance of appearing in a prominent place which may end up converting to a valuable lead.
These static sizes are still being used to be targeted specifically. Some advertisers prefer to have a wide net casting strategy to enable a responsive display ad to be appearing in almost all eligible places.
Why not? More placements more eyeballs from the public which may lead to a closure in sales. These are the sizes of static display ads and recommended display ads sizing.
Static Google Display Ads:
- 375 x 50
- 414 x 736
- 736 x 414
- 468 x 60
- 728 x 90
- 1024 x 768
- 970 x 90
- 980 x 120
- 930 x 180
- 250 x 250
- 200 x 200
- 336 x 280
- 300 x 250
- 970 x 250
- 120 x 600
- 160 x 600
- 425 x 600
- 300 x 600
- 320 x 50
- 300 x 50
- 240 x 400
- 250 x 360
- 480 x 32
- 300 x 1050
- 768 x 1024
- 1024 x 768
- 580 x 400
- 480 x 320
- 320 x 480
- 300 x 100
- 750 x 300
- 750 x 200
- 750 x 100
- 950 x 90
- 88 x 31
- 220 x 90
- 300 x 31
- 320 x 100
- 980 x 90
- 240 x 133
- 200 x 446
- 292 x 30
- 960 x 90
- 970 x 66
- 300 x 57
- 120 x 60
Shocking? There is indeed a wide combinations and options of display ads available to be shown to the public.
These might take a big toll on advertisers and time spent to craft such images to cater to different demographic and customer behavior.
However, Google delivered with responsive display ads and it seems have reduced such problems and provide 2 different sizing variations to meet all sizing demands.
Responsive Google Display Ads:
With responsive display ads, we would need 2 different image sizing. One landscape image preferably 1.91:1 and square image 1:1. Depending on the images, both images are available to be selected or we can use two different complete unique images. Here are some informational display ads are as follow based on google recommendations.
- Dimensional and File Size Restrictions
- Landscape (1.91:1) Ideal dimensions are 1200 x 628. Minimum dimensions are 600 x 314. Max file size is 5120kb.
- Square (1:1) Ideal dimensions are 1200 x 1200. Minimum dimensions are 300 x 300. Max file size is 5120kb.
- Image File Type Take note of files you grab on the web. If a file contains .png format, google will fill it with a black background which affects your overall look.
- Copyright Make sure to only use approved images as these images as google will not be responsible for any copyright infringements.
Responsive display ads come in two different version of logo as well. One suitable for landscape with a (4:1) ratio and another (1:1) ratio. It is also recommended to upload to variation to allow google to perform different sizing fits based on different placement on any websites.
- Dimensions for Logo
- Landscape (4:1) ideal dimensions are 1200 x 300. Minimum dimensions are 512 x 128. Max file size is 5120kb.
- Square (1:1) ideal dimensions are 1200 x 1200. Minimum dimensions are 128 x 128. Max file size is 5120kb.
- Tip Always ensure ample amount of white space and logo sizing as the space used for your logo in google display ads are relatively small. Thus, we would want searches to be able to grasp your company in one look.
With responsive ads, there are different text area we would have to fill mainly the headlines, long headlines, descriptions, business names and final URL.
- Headlines Ensure a maximum count of 30 characters. An amount of 5 different headlines to be created for your campaign
- Long Headline Keep a safe number of less than 90 characters in terms of long headline
- Descriptions A detailed explanation to engage your audience with up to a total of 5 different description of your ads of maximum 90 characters
- Business Name Short and sweet name for your business. It would be sad if your character exceeds 25 characters as google set a limit to business names. Thus keep it short and simple or use abbreviations if needed
- Final URL A website which will land most users on. We would need it to be as accurate to the ads possible, or you may contact Adssential Marketing in assisting you to create responsive and accurate micro sites
Reviewing Responsive Google Display Ads
Google will never use more then 2 headlines and descriptions together, thus it is wise to always improve and figure the best copy and combinations available. Always perform different examinations and testing like Adssential Marketing is doing to ensure the best Ad experience provided to visitors.
Strategize different image, headlines, and descriptions to meet ongoing visitor ship. Make sure your ads are appealing and engaging, nobody likes to be click baited.
If you need help in determining whether google display ads is suitable and best used for your industry, drop Adssential Marketing a message and we can work out and provide you with extensive reports and research on your targeted industry and strategies to be deployed.